Next Generation Soft Wearable Robots to Assist Human Walking
Speaker: Ignacio Galiana
At the Wyss Institute, we are developing the next generation of soft wearable robots to assist human walking. These soft clothing-like “exosuits” integrate lightweight functional textiles to interface to the human body in a conformal and compliant way, wearable sensors to monitor human movements, efficient cable-driven actuation systems and real-time algorithms to provide assistive forces in parallel with the biological muscles and tendons.
Application of soft exosuits include improving the efficiency of healthy individuals when performing physically demanding tasks, assisting those with muscle weakness or patients who suffer from physical or neurological disorders that affect their gait such as post-stroke patients or MS.
Five Things Audience Members Will Learn
- Soft exosuits and how they work
- Design methodology and multi-disciplinary approach
- Integrating textiles and functional apparel in robotics
- Human-in-the-loop subject testing and human factors when evaluating wearable robots
- Applications of soft exosuits to assist human walking