Why the Future of Robotics is Soft
Speaker: Michael Tolley
Softness is the future of robotics. Discover rapid advances in soft robotics, including leading work in the field. Learn about recent developments from my group, the Bioinspired Robotics and Design Lab at UC San Diego.
We borrow inspiration from nature to design automated systems with lifelike capabilities. Creatures like the starfish inspire our designs for soft robots composed of compliant materials. Natural fabrication techniques, from the small scale (proteins) to the large scale (plant leaves), inspire our robots that self-assemble by folding.
Five Things Audience Members Will Learn
- Why robots should be soft
- What are the potential advantages
- What has been accomplished so far
- What are the outstanding challenges
- Where is the field going in the future